Thursday, March 4, 2010

First Wave #1 and Amazing Spider-man #623




There wasn't that much action on the Dc's side of the camp this week with the exception of First wave #1 with Doc Savage, the Spirit, and Batman or atleast Batman was suppose to be there. Since I'm already talking about it i'll start off with First Wave.

Review #1- First Wave #1 - In the the style of classic story team ups DC compiles the stories of Doc Savage,The Spirit,and Batman. It starts off with a simple backstory of what seems to be Doc Savage. Now I'm probably wrong about this but this is the first time I've read any Doc Savage so I apologize now if I'm wrong. This little tale jumps right in as the press awaits Doc Savage at a cemetary. Right after this it goes right into The Spirit sleeping in a open grave. Sure this is a very common writing device but it just made it fun for me. It also made The Spirit seem really badass. I don't know what it was but it was a really cool panel. This was a solid beginning to a series and a nice throwback to classic comics. It also makes the non super powered heroes seem very relevant to this setting. It's nice to see that. I give First Wave #1 3.5 out of 5. My reason for the lower score was because the complete absence of Batman now maybe they're building him up but he should have been in it atleast at the end.

Review #2 - Amazing Spider-man #623
Spidey has been on a roll lately. Every week it's been a fun story with great artwork. This issue brings the same but the story lacked for me compared to the others. The main villian this week was Vulture but the comic started off with Electro breaking him out. Which means we should be seeing an epic Electro vs. Spidey fight in a few weeks. It was really interesting to see a villian introduce the issue but then not fight the superhero. At first I thought it was cool but by the end I was wishing for Electro to come out so I could stop reading frankenvulture trying to talk. I'm on the fence with the new vulture but atleast spidey had a few good one liners against him especially about the old vulture. I would say if you haven't been reading spiderman you can jump in any issue which I really enjoy. I give Amazing Spider-man #623 a four out if five. It was an alright issue but not amazing. There were also some panels that seemed rushed with the drawing. I hope the writers keep with the weekly concept it's really working out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon