Thursday, March 4, 2010

X-Men Hope and The Ultimates Reviews

This week was dominated by Marvel. Dc didn't have too many options but I did pick up First Wave which I'll be reviewing with The Amazing Spider-man. Just a little preview for First Wave it has tons of Batman in it! I mean I was so surprised by how much he was actually in it. I just couldn't wrap my mind around just how much he hogged of the first issue. Okay hopefully people understand just how sarcastic I was being there. I won't bash it too much though I thought it was a good beginning. On to the marvel comics this week and with that comes my first review.

Review #1 - X-Men: Hope - This is a story that seems incredible too rushed for me. I had no idea it was a one-shot until I bought which really bummed me out. I thought this could have easily made a five part or maybe even ten part series. I know this is probably just anyway to push X-Men second coming but the whole story is rushed and slammed together. I enjoyed Cable in the tough father figure role and Hope having no clue as to why she had to deal with all this madness. The art was what I expected from Steve Dillion but it seem to fit the story very well. If I had to choice the best part of the comic I would choose the shot of cable smiling in the window after he just got kicked in the face by Hope. He seemed so pride of his little companion. I was hoping for more from Hope and Cable but this seems to be where it stops which is the most upsetting part. As a one-shot it was enjoyable and I give X-Men: Hope a 4 out of 5. Everything fit very well  and it was a short fun story I just wish it wasn't so rushed.

Review #2 - New Ultimates # 1 - I have to point out I was never a huge ultimate universe person. I tried and tried to get into Ultimate Spider-man and failed every time. It wasn't really about them change the design of characters because that's what every new generation does I think it was the writing. Bendis is really hit or miss for me. I like alot of his work but sometimes he seems to try too hard to be original. Now not that I'm saying it's Bendis I'm just saying he was responsible for Ultimate Spider-man and he isn't even writing New Ultimates  Jeph Loeb is. Speaking of Jeph Loeb I really don't know what to think of Fall of Hulks. It seems so out there even for Hulk. Its like they have the theory of if there are bad characters that are boing lets add twenty more of them. So needless to say I wasn't expecting much walking into New Ultimates but I was very surprised what I found. What made me interested was the fold out cover. I mean that was just awesome. I am really enjoying the artwork. It's very well done and there is so much detail. I can't think of the last time I got a huge fold out spread like that. It was really a nice surprise. They did a good job bringing everyone into the world explaining about ultimatum but very loosely. Just a few sentences but it brought your attention to it immediately. What I like about it was the narration by Tony Stark. It shows how the Ultimates have been torn apart. They've lost a few members and Thor is in another dimension being harassed for his body. It also did a good job showing how Iron Man, Thor , and Captain America are the leaders and how they differ. They were all confronted by women and they all made their own decisions which seem to fit those characters so good. When it comes down to it if the reader is open to being part of a different world and the characters being slightly different they will have a good time reading this book. I know I did. If they keep up the good work I think this could be a very entertaining and long series. I give New Ultimates #1 Five out of Five.

There you have two of this weeks comics and there is more to come. I hope you like the new reviews and I'll be trying to put out more and more every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon