Saturday, March 27, 2010

This Week's Comics in Review

This week had a few new comic releases. The beginning of Marvel's Nemesis and Peter Parker. It also was the week of the much anticipated Green Lantern #52. Spoiler alert Sinestro is the white lantern  : O . I just blew everyone's mind with that one.

This week's first comic that I read was Mighty Avengers #35. I don't know what it is but I'm really enjoying this series. I think maybe because how much of a pompous guy Pym is or just how the team is completely fallen apart. It feels like the writers know that it's crashing and burning and they're having a fun time while it lasts. 35 shows that after the whole Loki mess that the team has separated from Pym and went their separate ways. The funny thing about this is that Pym appears that he could careless about it. He's just so focused about his scientific studies. The story is mainly about the uprising of Pym's old foe Voltron and the collapse of the Mighty Avengers. It's almost like watching a plane crash. I know I shouldn't be looking but I can't help myself. There is also a pretty big surprise at the end. I'm giving Mighty Avengers #35 a four out of five. Whenever this series ends which I'm sure will be pretty soon after the end of Siege and the rebirth of the avengers I hope Pym will still have a role in the marvel universe because he's a real interesting guy.

As a fan of Spider-man and a devoted follower of Amazing Spider-man I can't deny that I was pretty happy to see the next read come out. Peter Parker is a new upstart series I'm guessing about Parker more than Spidey or atleast that's what they're shooting for. I felt like this was a good story and I really had no problem with it but I'm wondering why it's called Peter Parker. I was reading it and kept thinking this really is just another spidey book and I really don't have a problem with that but I'm hoping that will change in the next issue. It has plenty of just Parker moments but so does Amazing Spider-man that's why I don't really know why there's a need for a similar title. I gave Peter Parker a three out of five. It's an alright beginning and if they keep going with more Parker stories I think it'll become a well rounded comic.

Mark Millar is obviously most known for his "Kickass" title. I'm a fan of Kickass It's a really cool book full of style. With his new series Nemesis this doesn't change at all. Nemesis starts like most of Millar's work by punching you straight in the face. It's stylish and I really think that's the best word for it. It has a real natural villainous bad guy feel to it. Nemesis knows he's the best and he knows he's going to get the job done. I really like how this is going and I'm eagerly waiting for the next issue. Now maybe this really isn't the best for a younger crowd because it has the classic millar completely detailed violence in it. The first death really explains to me where he's going in the series. Not that it's a bad thing because I'm all for over the top violence but for kids I think they should stay away. What Millar showed in this issue is Nemesis is not joke and he's not someone to mess with. I gave Nemesis a 4.5 out of 5. Keep up the good work Mark Millar and the artwork is grade A without a doubt.

My Last comic that I'm reviewing this week is Green Lantern #52. I'm not sure how everyone feels about GL but I couldn't wait for this issue to come out. I mean I think this might be the coolest shot of Sinestro I have ever seen. He's so arrogant and he should be because he's the white lantern. For the most part this really didn't have too much information mostly it was about how the color of each ring was developed and we learned this through the enlightened eyes of sinestro.  First spread of Hal looking at the newly kick ass sinestro was just a great shot. It just shows how he feels about the whole situation and how the unusual happened. I've never been one that thought Sinestro was a bad guy he was just lost in his ways. He always did what he did for the law of the land even if he did it in insane ways. This issue's art was just great. I mean it was just page after page of amazing art. The full page spreads were so full of color and just amazingly drawn. We pretty much just got a prelude for Blackest Night #08 but I'm okay with that because it would have been odd if they gave away too much in the GL comic rather than the Blackest Night comic. Blackest night comes to an end next week and with Sinestro in front I'm sure this is going to end in a huge way. I gave Green Lantern #52 a four out of five. Not too much content but with the amazing art and teasers for the Blackest Night ending I really enjoyed this issue.

This week seemed to have alot of starting comics and preludes to major things. I can't wait for next week to see the final issue of Blackest Night. Hopefully by then Sinestro will feel better from having a splitting headache. Okay I realize that was stupid but I couldn't resist.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon