Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Reviews for March 10 2010 - One Shots, One Shots, and more One-Shots

This week didn't have too many recurring titles coming out. I thought I wasn't going to have much to write about because most of all my pull list didn't have anything new this week. I figured I should catch up with some comics that I fell behind in so I went to the local comic book shop and found out I was wrong about nothing coming out. About 90% of the comics this week that came out for the major labels were One-Shots. I'm usually a little down on One-Shots because if they're really good I wish I could see more and if they're really bad they have no way of redeeming themselves the next month. The One-Shots that I read this week were all very good. They were simple and to the point as most good one shots are.

Hulk : Let the Battle Begin was an interesting twist to the generic Hulk story. Sure we all know Hulk smashes things and breaks faces but how is it for Bruce Banner? I like how this story was told because it kept having flashbacks of the Hulk fight in between Bruce Banner trying to remember what exactly went on. The villains were the Wrecking crew and they apparently had Mt. Rushmore as a hostage which seemed so pointless but it was a likely idea the wrecking crew would come up with.  The vague retelling of the fight with Thor was really well told. What I liked about this story was it was a very basic story but it was entertaining. It also had Hulk talking which is always funny especially when people teach him new attacks ( you'll have to read it to enjoy that.). Overall it was a very fun read and I recommend it. Hulk : Let the Battle Begin gets a Four out of Five.

The next one shot I read was Justice League : Rise and Fall. This comic dealt with Green Arrow's falling  from being a hero to becoming a killer. If you read Cry for Justice you'll know exactly what this special is going to be out but what's good is they have a recap just in case you didn't. The Green Arrow was pushed to the edge and shot an arrow right into a certain somebody's head. The story was dark but not too dark to the point of blood and guts. It just shows Green Arrow giving up his heroic justice side for vengeance.  This one-shot special just gave you enough info to want to keep up with this story. I wasn't reading this arc until I bought this special and I know I'll be getting whatever is next for the Green Arrow. Justice League : Rise and Fall gets a 3.5 out of 5. I really liked this book the only down side is that it seems that it isn't too connected to the main stories of DC.

The last One-Shot I read this week was Mr.X Wolverine. Wolverine One-Shots have always been my favorite one shots because it always just deals with the action of Wolverine and rarely about is complicated past. The story is pretty simple. Mr. X fought Wolverine twice before and the last time they fought Wolverine one. Mr.X wants revenge and his rematch so he kidnaps a kindergarten class, that's right a kindergarten class. Don't worry he doesn't kill the kids but he kills somebody. It was a really intense over the top bad guy move even for a Wolverine villain. It was an all out fight after that. The main theme is all about controlling you're inner beast which is always an ongoing problem for Wolverine. If you like less story and more action with Wolverine then defiantly pick this one up. Mr.X Wolverine gets a 4 out of 5.

Most people usually stray away from One-Shots but this week is pretty weak for anything else and all of the one-shots that I've read were well worth it. So if you're waiting for the next Siege or Blackest night try picking up one of this weeks One-Shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon